OCTOBER 21TH 2016:
During the first day of filming our movie trailer ‘Class Dismissed’ I had little experience with a camera before. After many takes and help from Mr Perry I was able to learn many new things about the camera, including getting a hang of the zoom, watching the takes after, panning, and trip pod stands.With these skills I will be able to improve and experiment with my camera shot and angles.
There were a few difficulties we experienced throughout the first days of shooting. For starters our team had to split up as we need another prop pistol gun, so Daniel and James went to the woodwork room to make one. Meanwhile Dylan and I took a while to get a good first take as we were having problems with framing and the wind was effecting the voice sound. We solve this by experimenting with different angles and the sound problem was solved by Dylan speaking louder.
I had an idea for a time-lapse of cars and bus drivers on the road but we simply didn’t the time in our tight shooting schedule, so I had to scrap that idea. There were probably also a few another scenes a would liked to shoot and add into the trailer. However, some scenes were unnecessary or hard to shoot while others gave away to much important plot details for a trailer.
Overall I think day 1 of filming went quite well and productive, considering we had to deal with many issues such as making the prop gun. Even with this set back we were still able to work around it and shoot a majority of the set up scenes with the protagonists and we used he class room to shoot all of the school scenes.
OCTOBER 28TH 2016:
This week was another week of filming and I think we can all say that a rap, pretty much i guess. This required me mostly using the camera, which now that I’m more experience with it I improved and also I got to have a go in the spotlight in front of the camera. This week we experimented and used close up shots, pan and over the shoulder from high and low angles using the trip pod stand. The hardest shot of the film was the chase scene between Dylan and James characters as it required quick work with the camera as I had to follow them. After many takes we were able to work together and I’m happy with what we shot.
I used my practice with the pan from the previous week to shot a majority of the chase scene between Dylan and James characters. I also made sure that I was giving James and Dylan there own chances to go behind the camera and take a turn at directing. I also used the tips I got from James and Dylan to make sure I put on a good performance in my only acting scene in the trailer.
Thanks to the learning curve we all went through last week, this week we were all prepared, experienced and ready to go. However this week still came with its difficulties, the one of these was during the double period Daniel was away. We all had to expect this fact and together we figured out a way to work around this issue a still get a majority of the shooting down. Obviously I would’ve preferred that Daniel was there and we were able to make what we original planned, but we had to move on and save that plan for the future.
Even through Daniel is away we worked around and ultimately we were able to say that’s a wrap by the end of the day. Perhaps next time we have the opportunity to shoot we could add some scenes with Daniel, but now we have moved on to the final editing stage of our production.
NOVEMBER 7TH 2016:
Now that we had finish the filming stage of the production we entered the post production editing stage. We still manage to find time to shoot an extra scene with Daniel in it and we got a crash course on using Adobe Premiere for editing our trailer. I started off by collecting all our takes and then dragging then in Premiere to edit, in sequential order. The run time for the unedited trailer was around 2:15, I hope to edit it down to around 1:30 including time to add title sequences.
Thanks to Mr Perry’s crash course on Adobe Premiere editing, I used what I had learn to cut out unnecessary scenes, tamper with the volume by deleting it or changing it, and adding title sequences in unique and creative ways. I will also use the skills I have learnt when creating the title sequences and animations when I do the credits at the end of the trailer.
It wan’t easy using Adobe Premiere, it took a while to get the hang of it, luckily once I did get the hang of it things went far more smoothly. Another slight difficulty was picking a font and color of text for the title sequences, mostly because there were just so many options. The main difficulty our team faced was the time pressure on us as we didn’t have much of a long time. We had 3 periods to make a poster for our trailer and complete editing on it, lucky so far things have gone well.
There were many editing ideas available for use in Adobe Premiere, however some were either to complex or they didn’t fit the style of the movie. I would diffidently like to use or experiment with this editing styles in futures projects. When I get more practice with Adobe, I know I’ll be able to improve my editing skills and make the movie look more professional as I familiarize myself with the site.
The progress on the movie trailer can only be describe in one way now, done! The trailer will be finalized and completed and I’m looking forward to seeing the finish product. Hopefully everything comes out well, as I envisioned it and hopefully Mr Perry will like it too!